Andres Amador is an artist who uses the beach as his canvas, racing against the tide to create these large scale temporary masterpieces using a rake or stick ..
Andres’ creations are simply stunning and knowing that these delicate creations are temporary somehow makes them even more beautiful.
On the morning of September 4, 1957, fifteen-year-old Dorothy Counts set out on a harrowing path toward Harding High, where-as the first African American to attend the all-white school – she was greeted by a jeering swarm of boys who spat, threw trash, and yelled epithets at her as she entered the building.
Charlotte Observer photographer Don Sturkey captured the ugly incident on film, and in the days that followed, the searing image appeared not just in the local paper but in newspapers around the world.
People everywhere were transfixed by the girl in the photograph who stood tall, her five-foot-ten-inch frame towering nobly above the mob that trailed her. There, in black and white, was evidence of the brutality of racism, a sinister force that had led children to torment another child while adults stood by. While the images display a lot of evils: prejudice, ignorance, racism, sexism, inequality, it also captures true strength, determination, courage and inspiration.
Here she is, age 70, still absolutely elegant and poised.
she deserves to be re-blogged.
she’s so goddamned inspirational
this makes me want to cry
- open internationally.
- ends on july 20th.
- you must be following me. (i’ll be checking, so nothing sneaky.)
- for entries, just reblog/like this post. just try not to be too annoying about it.
- WITH THAT SAID, ABSOLUTELY NO GIVEAWAY BLOGS!
- there will only be one winner, and the winner will receive all three books* above. (most likely in the form of a box set, as long as the book depository doesn’t sell out or anything funky like that.)
- once a random winner is chosen, i will message them. said winner must be comfortable giving me their mailing address. (don’t worry, i’m too lazy for stalking.)
- if i don’t receive a reply within a week or so, then a new winnerwill be chosen.
- thanks for following me! good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor. ♥
(*covers may differ slightly from what is pictured above.)